Disaster Unemployment Assistance

+ More Options
Individual Eligibility:

DUA is available to workers or self-employed individuals in the disaster area at the time it occurred and whose major source of livelihood is damaged due to the disaster. You must meet at least one of the following requirements.

As a direct result of the disaster, you:

  1. Have a week of unemployment following the date the major disaster began; or
  2. Are unable to reach the place of employment; or
  3. Were to have started work and do not have the job or are unable to reach the job; or
  4. Become the breadwinner or major support for a household because the head of household died as a direct result of the major disaster; or
  5. Cannot work because of an injury caused as a direct result of the major disaster.

DUA is not available if you are entitled to regular unemployment insurance benefits or waiting week credit. There is no waiting week period for DUA.

How to File Your Initial Claim:
  1. File online at NEworks.
  2. You will need your Social Security Number (SSN). A representative will help you determine if you are eligible for any other unemployment benefits. If so, you will collect those benefits instead of DUA. If not, the representative will help you file your DUA claim.
  3. Provide proof of income. You have 21 days from filing your initial DUA claim to provide proof of income from the most recent complete tax year. If eligible, your benefit amount will be based on this income.
If you worked for an employer who does not report your income for unemployment purposes:

You may use copies of check stubs, W-2 forms, or other proof. You will also need a copy of your Social Security Card.

If You Were Self Employed:

You will need a copy of your Social Security Card and a complete set of your federal income tax return from the most recent completed tax year. Forms needed may include:

  • Form 1040 – U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
  • Schedule C – Profit or Loss from Business
  • Schedule C-EZ – Net Profit from Business
  • Schedule F – Profit or Loss from Farming
  • Schedule K-1 – Partner’s Share of Income, Credits
  • Schedule SE – Self Employment Tax

Income reported on IRS Forms 4797 or 4835 cannot be used as proof of income.

How to File Your Weekly Claim:

You must file a weekly claim each week to continue receiving DUA benefits. You must file your weekly claim online at dol.nebraska.gov.

You must report all income from the week, including wages, vacation, and holiday pay, even if you have not been paid for the work. Report pension or retirement pay if the claims specialist instructs you to do so, but do not report Social Security payments.


If you do not agree with a decision made regarding your DUA claim, you have the right to appeal within 60 days. You should send a letter of appeal with includes your SSN and signature, and an explanation of why you disagree. You may appeal online at dol.nebraska.gov.

Important Information:

DUA law is defined in 20 CFR Part 625.

You are responsible for the accuracy of the information you provide when claiming benefits. The Nebraska Department of Labor may then verify the submitted information. If you willfully misrepresent information, you are committing fraud, and you may be subject to prosecution, repayment of benefits, and/or disqualification from future benefits.

DUA benefits are subject to federal income taxes. You have the option of withholding 10 percent of your benefits for this purpose. See IRS Publication 505, “Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax,” or the instructions for Form 1040-ES for more information.