DUA is available to workers or self-employed individuals in the disaster area at the time it occurred and whose major source of livelihood is damaged due to the disaster. You must meet at least one of the following requirements.
As a direct result of the disaster, you:
- Have a week of unemployment following the date the major disaster began; or
- Are unable to reach the place of employment; or
- Were to have started work and do not have the job or are unable to reach the job; or
- Become the breadwinner or major support for a household because the head of household died as a direct result of the major disaster; or
- Cannot work because of an injury caused as a direct result of the major disaster.
DUA is not available if you are entitled to regular unemployment insurance benefits or waiting week credit. There is no waiting week period for DUA.