Contractor Information

Nebraska Contractor Registration Information

Nebraska Department of Labor
Labor Law / Contractor Registration
550 So. 16th Street, 3rd Floor
Lincoln, NE 68508

Phone: (402) 471-2239
Fax: (402) 471-5039

The Nebraska Contractor Registration Act requires contractors and subcontractors doing business in Nebraska to register with the Nebraska Department of Labor.  While the registration is a requirement, it does not ensure quality of work or protect against fraud.

All contractors with one or more employees must provide a current Workers’ Compensation Certificate of Insurance (ACORD 25) with the Department of Labor listed as the certificate holder. Each contractor is responsible for making sure an updated Certificate of Insurance is on file with the Department of Labor. Any contractor whose records indicate their coverage has expired will be removed from the list of registered contractors until an updated certificate is received from the contractor's insurance agency.

The ACORD 25 certificate can be faxed to 402-471-5039, emailed to or mailed to Nebraska Department of Labor, Labor Standards, 550 S. 16th Street, Lincoln, NE 68509.

Search Registered Contractors and Subcontractors

Contractor Registration

Contractors with Unpaid Fines for ECA Violations

 Frequently Asked Questions

A contractor is any person who engages in the business of construction and includes subcontractors, general contractors and any other person arranging for the performance of work on real property.

Click here to find out more on the Employee Classification Act.

Construction means work on real property and annexations, including new work, additions, alterations, reconstruction, installations and repairs on real property that may be performed at one or more different sites but does not include the construction of water wells or installation of septic systems.

There is a $25 annual registration fee.

All contractors doing business in Nebraska must register with the Nebraska Department of Labor. Any contractor doing business under more than one name must obtain a separate registration number for each business name.

A Registered Agent is a person or entity designed to receive official notifications, notices of law suits, important tax and other legal documents on behalf of a business entity. The Registered Agent must be located and available at a legal address within the specified jurisdiction at all times. If you are running your own small business, you can be your own Registered Agent. If one or more individuals are running a business together, one person is usually designated as the Registered Agent.

To register as a contractor, you will need to log into your profile at If you have not created a profile on the website, you will be required to do so before registering your business.

A person who performs work or has work performed on the person's own property is not a contractor under this act. A person who earns less than $5,000 annually or who performs work or has work performed on his or her own property is not a contractor.

A person who is self-employed (must be a sole-proprietorship) and does not pay more than $3,000 annually to employ others in the business.

When you receive a renewal letter from the Department of Labor, you will need to log into your profile at to renew your registration. If you have not created a profile on the website, you will be required to do so before renewing your registration or updating your status.

Log into your profile at and select "Change Tax Option" in your business dashboard menu. 

For Non-Resident Contractors Only on projects of $10,000 or more, you will need to log into your profile at and select "File New Project Permit" from your business dashboard menu.